Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Craft and Sleep

This week I received a late Christmas gift in the form of a book called Indie Craft by Jo Waterhouse.
[excuse the bad mobile picture]

Some key artitst that I want to reference from the book are Joetta Maue, Diem Chau and Marloes Duyker. With a new year and new projects for the upcoming months, I figured some fresh influences and establishing where I exist in the artist world would be a good start. All of the artists featured below have a strong relation to my work [it's easy to see] and I instantly fell in love with all of the artists. 
N.B. I don't like rewording biographies of artists to make them sound my own, so I have used statements from their sites so you gain the same engagement about their process and ideas as I have.

Joetta Maue


Bio: In my work I celebrate the contradictions and dynamism of the joy and sadness of life.  Just like the word “lovely,” which we may use to describe everything from a wedding ceremony to a funeral service, life is an indefinable experience. It fluctuates, never remaining in one moment or emotion for long. This dynamism creates the complexity of life, the beauty of life, and the path of life.  As Joanna Freuh says, “life is sloppy” and, as an artist, I celebrate, question, and reveal the sloppiness of our lives.


Two pieces that sums up her work - embroidered typography and delicate illustrations of people. One rule that I stand by is to avoid illustrating people because its just insulting when I try to do so and I have never had an interest to represent a person in another form. I am more of a storyteller through other manners.

Feminine embroidery piece that is looks delicate and refreshing. The use of embroidery hoop as a frame in the piece is something I have seen some Etsy sellers do, but this works in a different context. Quite an inspiring look at the objects that are used in the creative process. The type used is feminine and personal, which adds a lot of character to a very simple piece.

Another piece depicting a person, this time sleeping on a couch. I like the way she has stitched over some lines in order to make them stand out more, a process which I have learnt myself to do also. I think Maue has an intelligent way of working with stitch to create the detail like the folds of the trousers and the hand, which is not something I can ever accomplish. To achieve such a great standard, I can only presume Maue has had good training within the Arts and has done a lot of life drawing.

Website: Joetta Maue

Diem Chau

Bio: Chau combines common mediums and common means to create delicate vignettes of fleeting memory, gesture and form, resulting in works that combine egalitarian sensibility and minimalist restraint. Her work touches on the value of Storytelling, Myths and its ability to connect us to each other through cultural and humanistic similarities. Chau's current work drifts into new territory by exploring the periphery of the narrative, moments forgotten and faded, or too brief to retain.

Ceramics + thread = amazing! This completely drew me in with its uniqueness and strange quality. The delicacy of the saucer combined with a tradition that often involves the harsh piercing of materials was for me at first quite astonishing- Who would dream up the combination! But I am quite excited about this mixed media piece. Chau allows the piece to evolve outside of the obvious framing of the circle giving it so much more extra depth.

I like the composition of this illustration and the combination of colours for the skirts. Chau has a very simple illustration style, its hard not to like. 


Another piece that evolves outside of the original shape, with use of that simple illustration, with a hint of colour to bring it to life from the cup.

Website: Diem Chau

Marloes Duyker

Bio: As an artist, Marloes gratefully uses the contrast between the technique and subjects like suicide, the depression, and the loss of identity. This is varied by light-hearted and spontanious images of colorful birds, styled man-figures and poetic portraits.

Mixed media pieces with a great sense of colour and composition. How I went so long without acknowledging these artists seems insane, but I like the use of objects and cut outs in this piece.


Another simple palette of colours that compliment each other well with detailed stitch illustration of birds and facial features. So much detail that you could look at for ages and constantly spot new details every time you look at it.


Magazine piece which enables you see his work in context. I think I might have to mock up professional pieces in order to see what my work would look like as a professional piece like the above.


Brooches- A new adventure for Naked Designs, which has been worn by a Dutch charity worker on tv. Very unique design with threads hanging loose from the final product with a very simple illustration of animals. A good example of work that shows that simple always works, even with a few loose threads.

Website: Marloes Duyker

Over the weekend, I watched a Michel Gondry film called The Science of Sleep(2006) after a friend recommend it to me. What my delightful friend failed to inform me was that the film was full of amazingly enchanting animations. Because I cannot get hold of a great screen shot to show you how good it was, I have managed to find the artist who made some of the key elements to the animations. Lauri Faggioni [ award-winning director, production designer and choreographer,] made the objects below which are in a few of the animation sequences in the film, with the horse being a key character to the story line about a man entranced by his dreams and imagination is lovestruck with a French woman and feels he can show her his world.

Elephant and bug

 Horse. which is later recreated on a life size horse

A key piece between the characters friendship. Beautifully created boat.

An animation made out of empty toilet and kitchen rolls- simple and curiously beautiful. Makes you just want to explore the cardboard city.

Screenshot of Ski-ing scene- use of threads and fabric. So simple and yet enough to tell you a lot.

Telephone. Now i am a fan of buttons, and seeing them in this context gets me stupidly excited. This actually reminds me of something I made this time last year, will post it up when I find a digital copy of it.

More good button use on a typewriter this time, which has one of my favourite animated scenes; long creepy fingers come down to type, which has a slight feeling of Tim Burton to it. Inspirational to say least, makes me eager to do more animation work in the near future.



Website: Lauri Faggioni


So those are my relevant artists and influences leading in to 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment