Friday, 8 July 2011

Pages of Donation

I recently purchased a couple of printmaking books as part of my ever growing artistic collection of creative books. I also was donated some books through a customer at my part-time job, which was MIGHTY kind and lovely and made my dreary weekend!

So I feel I should share my recent pile of paper, as some of them are quite a rarity and delight to have. The books donated by the lovely Katherine are a broader range of subject matter in the art world than what I already have so is quite enlightening in many ways. I have yet to sit and read through any of the books properly, except I have had a good scan of the two Print Making books as those I actually paid for!

The newest editions to my collection.

Labelled up as £75, Vok Collection,Suzani; A Textile Art from Central Asia.

Contains some really delicate and intricate patterns made up of very primary based colours on a white background. 
The detail of the book - really simple layout with lots of white space so the images of the fabrics and textiles really do stand out. Really lovely book which has inspired me in terms of ideas for print making patterns and images. 
Fashion Drawing: The Basic Principles by Anne Allen and Julian Seaman.
 A book first published in 1993, breaking down the structure of illustrating the human body for fashion purposes. Despite it's age, all of the illustrations are of great use to me, and will never date. Best find!

A couple of annuals: one from The British Museum, the other the Royal Academy of Arts. Both a couple of years old, but I think it might have some good reference points[yet to read].

EH Gombrich,The Story of Art
I picked it up as I figured it looked like a book that is definitely full of use, although I am not familiar with the work of Gombrich at all. I am told he was a master of his time. Not my usual choice of art, however I will not dismiss it.

The Illustrators: The British Art of Illustration 1800-1997
 I was beyond belief to find a book of illustrators, and with such a lovely cover by William Heath Robinson. Some of the illustrators include Mervyn Peake, Peter Cross,Edmund Dulac, Charles Schulz and Ralph Steadman. Some really inspiring pieces of various medias but majority are traditional pen ink and watercolours.

 Inside The Illustrators.
 More beautiful drawings inside of The Illustrators.

Brought Books.

So, after some inspiration from a few places and keen to do some printmaking, I invested in a couple of books. I only intended to invest in the latter book, but I couldnt help myself and brought two- the more the merrier!
Printmaking and Mixed Media by Dorit Elisha.

 I've managed to find time to rummage though the book a couple of times and mark some reference pages for myself. I was a little disappointed with the book as the layout is fine, but they seemed to have used lots of colour in the background, which I'm sure will be the same for others, but it too busy and distracting from the main body of text and imagery. It became quite an issue truth be told, perhaps because I have a design background and I am a petty Graphic Designer deep at heart.However, design aside, the content is great - lots of examples of work like printed portraits, methods of printing techniques including screenprinting [with a breakdown of what it is an various ways of doing it], monoprinting, collagraph as well relief and sun printing mentioned too.

Boxes of textures and colour layered behind all the really essential bits.

Monoprinting- the break down with example images

And Finally..
Print Workshop. Hand-Printing techniques +Truly Original Projects by Christine Schmidt.

It's fair to say now, this is what you would call an 'indie' book. I adore the cover for its layout, colours and pure reflection of the contents inside.It's simple, provides you with all the information you need at the very beginning and just looks [and feels] awesome.

The book has a simple layout, with a handwritten text for project titles which is reflective of the who handmade process the book talks about. This book, in comparison to the first printmaking, has more tutorials for practising the techniques covered in the book, and has illustrated demonstrations[which are very fitting to the book] with minimal use of photography.

 Tutorial for Photogram Sewing Box.

Simple lay out with lots of images to accompany the text.

If you hadn't guessed by my high praise so far, I think this book is great,with easy to understand steps, a template chapter at the back for your own use, tip page,glossary and even a stockists page [despite it being american-doh!]. A fabulous buy and highly recommended to all other budding printmakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment