Thursday, 15 September 2011

Collier

A good friend of mine linked me to Jennifer Collier this week, and that is when I fell off my chair crying at the beauty of her work. Her work "focuses on creating work from paper; by bonding, waxing, trapping and stitching I produce unusual paper ‘fabrics’, which are used to explore the ‘remaking’ of household objects. "

The images of her work show off the beauty and delicacy of her craft using stitch to create ordinary 3D objects. The papers she chooses always compliment the designs well, like the floral patterns for the Alice jacket and sewing machine, enforcing a delicate and feminine object.

'I tend to find items then investigate a way in which they can be reused and transformed; giving new life to things that would otherwise go unloved or be thrown away.'

 Lampshades
 Alice Jacket

Bernina [unfortunately not the same model as mine]

 Binoculars
Typewriter Detail
Typewriter

Jennifer also runs workshops which I would love to attend if I was anywhere near Staffordshire. Next time I head that way, I will certainly be popping in for the day. She also has an online shop which I would empty if I could. I am very much in love with her work. She has established herself very well as a unique artist/craft which I admire and adore.

Do visit her website which has loads of images and info about what she does and her process as well as about her workshops and FAQs.Also noteworthy is the layout of her website, which is the best I have seen in some time, so good work Jennifer!


Jennifer will be at 
Origin: The London Craft Fair. 22nd – 28th September 2011 11am – 7pm

Jennifer Collier
Website
Twitter

I tend to find items then investigate a way in which they can be reused and transformed; giving new life to things that would otherwise go unloved or be thrown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment