Friday, 9 September 2011

VAG ART

It's been a while, I'm sorry, I have been here, there and everywhere[including Bournemouth, Edinburgh and Kent].
I have been working with The Girls in Bournemouth helping with bits of preparation towards the Grand Grotesque Parade happening on 24th September [Check it out!]. That's all I will say about that, but lots of photos from the day will be arriving after I'm sure.

 But from this, Zoe Sinclair told me about Shoreditch Sisters and their current campaign where they are making a
large vagina quilt.
Brilliant.
The campaign is raising awareness of Female Genital Mutilation which occurs in Africa and the Middle East, and they are asking people to send them fabricated vaginas to construct a large quilt. How could I not. I have a lot of interest in feminism recently and this is a fascinating and yet disturbing subject, quite the opposite of where my starting point was. They have managed to get a lot of press coverage as it is a very alternative method to raise awareness however it is very much in tone with its issue. They have lots of updates on their Facebook group, and lots of details about the subject they are raising awareness of. It is quite horrendous and not something that is known to many people so I am in full support of the cause. I believe the final quilt will be on display in Feb 2012, so look out for it [I'm sure I will blog about it nearer the time!]

Here is my vagina that I will be posting to the Sisters later today:







In the mean time, do check out the campaign and also the Bournemouth Arts Festival happening now until Oct!

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment