Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Paris, Je T'aime

 So a couple of weeks ago, I adventured over the English Channel to Paris with my good friend Andrea.On our expedition, we explored Paris by foot, by boat and metro, and saw all the essential sights. From our 3 night stay, the most impressive thing we took away was the architecture around the city, it was pure beautiful and enchanting in some areas, which for me, won me over more than London ever has.

From our hotel, looking north into the city.


Space Invaders street art, found in Mouffetard. I found this very exciting as I had never really seen street art by someone that I knew[no I've never seen a Banksy in person].
Later on in the day, I found another one! This one was located on the way from Latin Quarters to Notre Dame before we crossed the bridge. I was surprised to find two in one day in a foreign city, but they had their charm against towering old buildings.

Poetry found in the Latin Quarters with a giant illustration [see below]

It reminds me of something I have seen before, but I cannot put my finger on what it is. However, the art stands out in the area and really lifts it, even if it doesn't compliment the brick work or area with its bold motif.

This staircase was in a small church east of Pantheon, which I cannot remember the name of. However, the church was beautiful and full of decorative detailed sculptures and statues. This piece of a man holding up the staircase, had details throughout and really stood out in the church. We also visited Sucre-Coeur whilst in Paris and thought it awfully bland in comparison to this small church which was full of character and charm. Behind this wooden sculptured stairs, is a white staircase which was just as beautiful.


On our way to Musee d'Orsay, we walked over the bridge opposite, where we found the sides were covered in padlocks. I thought this very bizzare but obviously a community/public project of some kind. With a little research, I found that it was Love Locks- a custom where lovers attach a padlock as a symbol of their love for eachother. On inspection, I saw that many of the locks had names or initials on them, representing the couple. A very sweet idea which is actually carried out in many other places across the world. Read More Info

Love Locks.

Louvre. We came to the Louvre late in the day, and so we went to see only a few main exhibits- Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo. The Mona Lisa was exhibited on its own wall, making the infamous painting look even smaller, especially when it was surrounded by huge detailed paintings in comparison. I did not think much of Mona Lisa, but then again, I couldnt get that close due to the sea of tourists, tour groups and cameras. However, the surrounding paints were so glorious. I loved the painting above, with the man draped elegantly over a bed of clouds whilst two women look on. The colours are heavenly and bright whilst the composition fills the space well, with your eyes concentrated on the very center of the painting.


I took this merely to show scale of some of the pictures. It's truly incredible to think that people work on these ginormous scales and I cannot even comprehend how they started or worked through a piece so large. 
This lovely engraving was on a tomb in Montmatre, and I found it a very gentle, simple and yet unique image to have on the side of a tomb. The colours, now faded from its original bright blue, make the piece as eerie as the cemetery itself.

The Eiffel Tower. The size was overwhelming as you walk towards it at close distance. This photo was taken underneath to show the complex construction of one leg. It was very interesting seeing the detail of the structure that you never see in films etc, and was very magical to see light up and glitter at night.
Another picture from Louvre, showing the various frames. I am obsessed with beautiful frames, and I spent more time looking at frames than the images themselves. These paintings all had their own unique frames, and yet as a collective it really does not matter as it adds character to each individual piece of art.

Finally, this magnificent sculpture was in the Jardins de Luxemburg next to the Palace and I was interested with the story behind the sculpture. Above, in green, a man full of rage looks down upon a white couple. One presumes that it perhaps is a father looking down at his daughter, maybe representative of Greek or Roman Gods. There was no information to read up about the sculture, that was situated at the end of a long pond, which I felt disappointed by.

Paris is full of lots of inspiring sculpture, architecture and artwork, that I would happily explore again in a few years time. A very beautifully charming city.

No comments:

Post a Comment