Monday, 5 December 2011

How to Be a Woman

'You know, when it comes to sex, you really do have to remember men are blessedly forgiving creatures. They don't care what kind of knickers you're wearing. By the time you've taken your skirt off, you could be wearing a Gregg's paper bag with leg holes torn in to it, and it wouldn't put them off. THERE ARE MEN OUT THERE HAVING SEX WITH BICYCLES. Men don't remotely care if you're wearing sexy pants or not.'

I couldn't help but chuckle at these words. Caitlin Moran has expressed in words something that I have believed, and probably many others, for a long time.

Whilst in London at Fem11, a few people I got chatting to recommended How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran. I will admit now, I had never heard of it before, despite glowing reviews from Jonathan Ross, Nigella Lawson and Lauren Laverne. However, 100 pages in, and it has had amused me all evening. The book is far from patronizing and stuck up, which I always fear from feminists. However this is a mix of memoirs and rants; tales of periods, pants and muffs [so far..].

Other key quotes from the book which I think strike very amusing points.

'So here is the quick way of working out if you're a feminist. Put your hand in your pants.
a) Do you have a vagina? and
b) Do you want to be in charge of it?
If you said 'yes' to both, then congratulations! You're a feminist.'

'Why on earth have I, because I'm a woman, got to be nice to everyone? And why have women - on top of everything else- got to be particularly careful to be 'lovely' and 'supportive' to each other at all times?'

On the subject of underwear that we love wearing: 'Oh, if only the world knew how amazing we look under all these clothes.' Because I know personally that I feel so much better about myself wearing beautiful and comfortable under wear. After a recent discussion with a male friend, I find the idea of men buying me underwear bizarre and unnecessary. For one, I know what I like, and I am like hell to please. Secondly, I am wearing underwear to make myself feel good, not to look good for anyone else.

 A highly recommended read to all men and women.

No comments:

Post a Comment