Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Brealey

Via Twitter, I came across an interview with Louise Brealey, perhaps better known as Molly from BBC's adaption of Sherlock or as Nurse Roxanne from Casualty a few series ago. The Observers' interview briefly covers her thoughts as a feminist, and this was her fabulous response, which I have noticed going down well with many feminists.

Image from the Observer interview.

" You describe yourself as a feminist on your Twitter biography. What kind?
A militant one. Dungarees, moustache, all men are rapists, you know the drill... Seriously, though, I'd like every man who doesn't call himself a feminist to explain to the women in his life why he doesn't believe in equality for women. I think Page 3, Nuts and Zoo are bullshit. I don't wax my pubic hair off. I don't think working in a titty bar getting fivers shoved up your bum is empowering. And I'm bored of pictures of women in their smalls on buses with fuck-me mouths. "

I think the key part to this response is the idea that 'I'd like every man who doesn't call himself a feminist to explain...why doesn't he believe in equality for women...' I read something similar recently, and for the life of me can't remember what it was. Men should support women, as women have always supported men. Up The Women! as a delightfully eccentric 85-year old lady recently screeched at me. 

Also,I came across the Guardian has an article discussing is Sherlock sexist?, not to mention the various articles discussing the end of third episode The Reichenbach Fall!

Links
Louise Brealey Observer Interview
Louise Brealey  on Twitter
Louise Brealey Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment