Tuesday, 16 October 2012

In The Thick if It

At the start of the month , I spent two days volunteering with Winchester Discovery Centre helping with the set up of the latest show- In The Thick of It. The artist, Laura Ellen Bacon, is a sculpture who uses willow to create giant pieces. 

"My large-scale installations are almost always built on site, allowing me to form my work in a way that truly fits a site."

Alongside 5-6 other volunteers, I helped to prepare large amounts of birch branches before transferring them to the Discovery Centre. On the second day of helping, we started to form the structures with guidance from Laura. The experience was intimate and yet relaxed as we worked three metre high birch branches into oak trunks which formed the start of three last structures that now stand in the gallery space.

See pictures of the installation here.
 But here is where you will find visitor info.

Over the two week installation, there were a total of 15 volunteers who helped the project along. Read the Volunteer's Feedback about the experience.

I haven't been able to visit the finished piece of art, which opened to the public on the 12th October, but the exhibition is open until 6th January and is expected to grow through the months that it is installed on site.

I will upload my own photos as soon as I have visited!!

Links
In The Thick Of It Exhibition Info

No comments:

Post a Comment